Thursday, April 5, 2012

Assumptions made about a Large Family....

I just love when people live their life off assumptions they make with no real information!!! AND don't find it a bit rude to voice such assumptions!!! SIGH!!

Yes I have 8 kids....no I am not Catholic or Mormon and no YOU (ie Govn't) are not raising my kids! I have never even had a gallon of milk purchased for me! It took me forever to pay with my debit card because I know people watch me pay and I never wanted my card to be mistaken for food stamps!!

It's been a few years back but one of the parents at a birthday party says "how can you afford this?....oh that's right your mom helps" Really news to me!!! Would my mom help? Absolutely if I asked!! In all my kids parties I can remember only one that my mom helped with and that was because a lot of extended family was down and the year before our AC broke so I think she wanted a well shaded area oh and that was when I only had 2 kids!! So NO we actually care for all our children ourselves!! Food-Clothes-Medical care-Parties it's us all us!!!

We do hold our children responsible for certain things!! The reason is not because we can't pay it...it's because we think its important for kids to learn the difference between needs and wants! Cheerleading is NOT a need, popular brand clothing not on sale not a need, we pay tor limited activities and I will buy them clothes but my clothes rule is it must be on sale!!! And guess what I am only one of 2 kids and I gad to do the same! AND I am so very thankful my mom instilled that upon me!! Already my older kids appreciate this they go places with friends and twice now it has been said she's so spoiled she just expected her parents to buy whatever when she asked it was very annoying!

Another favorite comment... "Oh at least you have older kids to help" spoken always from those who do not have teenagers. We will leave all the kids home to go grocery shopping or run errands but we maybe twice a year ask the older kids to watch their siblings while we go "out" The purpose of family though is to work together to make the house/home a better place. So yes everyone in our familiy helps others to make life run more smoothly. I sure hope that is still how families with three kids do things but sadly it seems less and less work together to accomplish anything! I remember frequent family yard days as a kid! chores are chores and kids need em!! The other day we were planting our garden... I told my oldest I can't hold her and plant the garden so which would you like? He quickly said give me her! Point being from the outside our younger kids may seem like a "chore" but obviously not as much as yard work!

My most favorite comment "How do you do it/ afford it" I usually just smile and say day by day!! When I want so badly to say I make them my PRIORITY! :) I don't put my need of new clothes before my kids! I do not expect "ME" time when that could be family time! I spend 23hrs a day at home cooking/cleaning/caring for kids not out shopping, lunch dates e friends, playdates all that costs $$$ and I learned years ago all those things make for a very crabby hubby!! We choose to be debt free opposed to trips where we break the bank to get a break from our kids!!! The same people who ask this question are usually the same ones eating out all the time and spending their weekends out drinking with the girls / boys!! All about priorities!!

So in a nutshell no it is not easy, no we never planned on having a large family, (we tell our kids we wanted 2 we just can't decide which 2 to keep!) :) Oh and if we did not keep a sense of humor we would be CRAZY for certain! Oh and no we don't rotate shower days! Showers taken daily ;) yes it's been asked!

2 comments:

Happy Campers said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!!!! You are a true gem...there are WAY too many Moms out there who have their priorities all wrong. And families for that matter. The world needs more C's!

The Leader Of This Crazy Clan said...

Thanks!! I am the first to admit I have made many upon many mommy mistakes AND will make many more!Yes we have choosen a lifestyle others do not choose and most don't desire. But to make assumptions because it isn't the norm is just sad. Newsflash reality TV is NOT REALITY! I would have never dreamt this would be my life 20yrs ago. But I would not want to change places with anyone! (most days) ;)