Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Word Of The Day........

Pretentious - Definition 1. appearing to have an unrealistically high self-image 2. made to look or sound important

I've worked hard since I was 16yrs old (actually probably younger because I made good money babysitting but 16 is what Uncle Sam knows about) :) I may not have several framed pieces of paper on my wall to show everyone how educated I am. And I am by no means classified as upper class. Guess what THANK GOD!
I am finding as I near middle age more and more about the people around me. I am losing respect I once had for some and gaining respect and admiration for others. That respect is based on lifestyle and a lot around the word Pretentious! Some may think "well she is just jealous". I myself thought that at first too. But then I realized I'm not jealous because I don't desire what these people have. If I desired these things they too would be made my priority. My priorities remain spending time with my kids and husband. So to work several jobs or work and go to school isn't, wasn't and probably never will be a priority.
So back to my word Pretentious... it irritates me that some people feel all those framed papers on the wall some how make them better than those around them. Each place value on a check makes them just a little more superior then Joe the plumber. There are 2 ways I look at these people. Example A the people who went to school to earn those degrees so they could decorate their walls brag about what school they went to, will add each letter before or after their name to show others their accomplishments. Example B is the one who wanted to educate themselves to better the world or those around them. They have those pieces of paper sometimes more tucked away in a desk drawer at home. And unless they are in the current role will simply write their given name no need to add anything more. Example A drives a brand new high dollar vehicle. Example B a non flashy get me from point A to point B. Example A shops at the high end retail stores to spend 50% more than Example B did just so they can say "Oh I got that at ______". Example A coupons? discounts? those are for people who don't have what I do. Example B no we'll go to the movie early to get the cheaper deal. AND my favorite Example A will make sure others know what they have but never pay it forward. While Example B will donate his time or money to those in need. Example A you may think of as the Pretentious one and yes probably is but I think my Example C fits it to a T. That person who has no education, married into $$$, when you start talking with them they quickly bring the conversation to what's important (themselves), they will never hesitate to tell you all about their brand new car, their latest trip, show you their newest electronic toy to which they will also brag about how much they spent on it, they talk frequently about people they know that are successful thinking that by association it adds to their own quality. And this is the person that will quickly assume they are wealthier than, better than, and more important than the above Example B. I feel very sorry for both Example A and C. I am sorry they have such obscured priorities.
I know I am rambling and seeing it's 3am the day after I buried my grandmother this may make no sense BUT....my point is- We all came into this world pretty much the same way. And none of us will live forever. I believe it boils down to 2 groups of people those who could have been wealthy if they hadn't worked so hard trying to prove it and those people who ARE wealthy be it with actual $$$ or with life/love itself. In raising my kids I hope I can instill 2 very important messages One-Honesty is the best policy and Two- Everybody puts their pants on one leg at a time!!! No matter what they do in life I hope these beliefs remain in each of their hearts. That they will become successful by fullfilling whatever their dreams may be but when they do to remember their roots.

2 comments:

Happy Campers said...

AMEN sister! I'm PROUD to be a Type B! Did you see my Facebook coupon post? I paid $13 for 35 grocery items. Saved 77% on my bill. Because I refuse to pay extra money for something if I can get it at a better deal!!

The Leader Of This Crazy Clan said...

I thought of you as I wrote this entry..... I'll let u guess who C was!! :)